Thursday, July 26, 2012

"Big Al's" Becomes "Thin Gal's"

I work at a local downtown burger joint, called "Big Al's Burgers and Dogs." It's pretty rockin'.
We serve dang good burgers, fires (&truffle fries), along with Haagen Daz milk shakes&malts.
I suppose the forever haunting smell of burger grease, always sneaking up in my car, jeans, and backpack, finally got to me.
This week I created my own version of a Big Al's meal.
I made an eggplant burger, yucca fries with grilled banana ketchup, and zucchini chocolate banana nut shakes.

I didn't have to work today so I went all out. I even started preparing the night before. And, if you know me, this is a big deal.

Let's dig in.
I'll start with the eggplant burger:
half of a sliced and roasted eggplant (they are in season right now! buy em for a buck!)
I diced red onion
I can drained cannellini beans
I diced red pepper
palm full of almonds
1 crushed garlic clove
1 teaspoon cumin
salt&pepper
and several shakes of crushed red pepper.

Throw it alllll in a food processor.
Then, if you're like me, spend 10 minutes figuring out how to turn on the food processor. 

Take the mixture out and stir in 1 cup of breadcrumbs.
Than ya make ya patties and ya cook em too.

I dressed mine with a wheat bun, tomato slices, romaine lettuce, super caramelized/charred onions, and accidental tahini/mint/agave sauce.
(I say accidental because I was going for a regular tahini sauce, didn't like it, and just started adding miscellaneous ingredients)



Let's progress to the fries and ketchup.
This grilled banana ketchup was quite an ordeal. I was super pumped and nervous for it.
First things first- grill your bananas. 

~cuddle~

While bananas cool, chop up: 
1/2 a yellow onion
4 cloves of garlic 
and a tablespoon of thyme.
Throw it all into a blender along with 
a 6oz can of tomato paste 
and 2 1/2 cups of water.
Peel those bananas and throw them in, too. 
Blend it. Blend it good. 

Pour mixture into a large pot and add: 
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
and 2 cups of apple cider vinegar.
Now spice it up!
Add 1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I got a spicier ketchup because I spilt in a little extra)
a pinch of each: cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice
and of course, salt&pepper to taste. 
(I was nervous approaching the taste test, but was greatly relieved when the flavors exploded in my mouth)
Bring mixture to a boil; then turn down heat and allow to simmer for about an hour. 

BAM



Yucca fires- also an ordeal. Yucca roots will make you feel silly. They are a lot like a potato except starchier, and look like a giant tree root.
Peel your yucca and cut it into agreeable fire-sized slices. The peeling was a challenge. We're talking bark rather than skin.

A tad bit awkward. 
But, it brings up good conversation with your grocer when he must ask, 'exactly what is this giant thing you are buying?'

Once you have your slices, boil them in water until tender. Throw slices onto a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt&pepper. Bake at 375 degrees until crispy.
Yucca root is also known as manioc. I spent a month in Paraguay and ate manioc almost every day. Having it again made me nostalgic. I don't remember it being so tree-root-looking though...





Now it's dessert time. Can I get an Amen!?
You will need: 
1 cup of shredded zucchini 
and 2 bananas.
I froze both of these the night before. Just be sure to not let them clump into one frozen chunk...
Throw them in a blender and add:
roughly 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
and 1 cup of heavy cream. 
Indulgent, I know.

Shake it out! Shake it out!
ooo-whoa-oh!








4 comments:

  1. Are we going ot get a meal from you when you visit New England in two weeks? Daddy-O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danie Woodward, you're so fine
    I wish your cooking skills were mine.
    I want to kiss your little nose
    And nibble on your tasty toes.
    Can you guess who I am?
    I promise I'm real- not a scam.
    I miss you more than the world misses Michael Jackson or Amy Winehouse.
    Uh oh, don't spill milkshake on your blouse!

    ReplyDelete