Thursday, July 19, 2012

Not bad for a first.

Upon request, I made a cucumber melon soup this week. The idea was taken from the Better Homes magazine; my aunt and I consistently receive two copies of it. Not sure why, but, now we each get one as our very own. oooo
The soup is made of:
1 seedless cucumber
2 large melon slices without the skin (I used casaba, it's wrinkly)
3/4 cup of greek yogurt
juice of 1 lime
and lots of fresh mint, picked from the backyard.
All you have to do is throw it all in a blender- easy as that.
Be sure to serve it chilled.

(My aunt bought these bowls at a drugstore, of course)


Since we are hungry bears after a long day at work, soup is not enough. So, I also made bruschetta: 
1 can drained diced tomatoes
3 cloves minced garlic
5 shakes of crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
juice of one lime
a good bit of chopped parsley
and lots of fresh coarsely chopped basil from a friend.
All you have to do is mix it up. It's best if you can let it sit for 3 hours before eating. 
"But, aint nobody got time for that!"

To eat the bruschetta I sliced up a pre-made baguette from King Soopers, my loved grocer. 
I painted the slices with olive oil and sprinkled on salt&pepper.
I put mounds of fresh mozzarella on some of them as well. 
I popped them in the oven at 350 degrees until toasted.

I got very impatient waiting for them to get toasted. I could not stop pacing and oven peeking. 

But it was worth it in the end!



No comments:

Post a Comment