Friday, August 24, 2012

Make the Corn Salad


I got home from work later than expected and jumped right into the meal-making. I decided to start off with a refreshing drink and salad so that my aunt and I would not starve as I prepared the more substantial dishes. As it turns out, this was my favorite part of this week's rent-repast.

For a beverage I made a honeydew green tea.

I threw a quarter of a honeydew melon,
3 cups of fresh-brewed green tea,
1 inch long piece of ginger,
a palm full of fresh mint
and raw agave to taste all into a the blender.
Be sure to serve it over ice and keep it nice and cool. 



sure is pretty aint she?



To make my little salad I used three cobs of corn. 
I took them out to the back porch to husk them since they can make such a mess.



I then sliced off all the kernels and threw them into a bowl.
I added 1 minced shallot,
1/2 cup of roasted&salted sunflower seeds,
1 tablespoon of olive oil,
1 tablespoon of brown sugar,
and the juice of half a lemon.

herb it up and add some fresh parsley and oregano









I'd make it again, so fresh&simple!

















After feeling revived by my corn and melon, I jumped into some brocolini, coconut, and potato.
I got out the cast iron and poured in some olive oil. 
First I put in 1 minced shallot,
1 minced garlic clove,
a shake of red pepper flakes,
a pinch of cumin,
and a small bunch of chopped brocolini. 
Brocolini (take advantage of the long stems!)

Once the brocolini is soft, add a good handful of spinach and let it wilt. Add a squeeze of lemon.
Top of the dish with toasted unsweetened coconut. Yum!
I loved the lemon, greens, and coconut combination. Next time I might try different spicing.

Also, on the menu was potato latkes.
Take one potato and one small onion and grate them together.
Add some salt&pepper.
Mix in 1 whisked egg and 1/4 cup flour.
Take a spoon ful and fry it up!
I served them with some sort of sauce made of coconut milk, cilantro, garlic, scallions, lemon, and jalapeno. It's good in concept but I don't think I got the right amounts for a good balance. So I've decided to give you the concept at least.
BAM


I've also decide to share with you a photo of the waste accumulated over my time of preparation. 
Because it's fantastic. 









No comments:

Post a Comment